- Services are defined as:
- Offline Services: certain offline services including but not limited to offline communications through our Ace Rewards, House Accounts, and Business-to-Business accounts,
- Ace Rewards: both in-store through point-of-sale systems and via the Online Services,
- Business-to-Business accounts,
- Communications with Prospective Retailers.
Additional Terms. Additional policies, guidelines, FAQs, rules, click-through agreements, and other terms and conditions may apply to certain portions of the Online Services or certain content, features, products, and services available on the Online Services (collectively, “Additional Terms”). These Additional Terms include, without limitation:
- Ace Rewards® Program Terms and Conditions available at www.acehardware.com/rewards-terms
- Ace Gift Card Terms and Conditions available at www.acehardware.com/customer-service?page=gift-cards
- Customer Service policies available at www.acehardware.com/customer-service, including our 30-Day Return Policy and
- Official Rules for contests and sweepstakes provided at the time you apply.
What Type of Personal Information Do We Collect and How Do We Collect It?
We may collect personal information to deliver the products and Services you request, to help improve your shopping experience, to support our business functions and in a variety of ways when you interact with Ace stores and Services.
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
We may collect the following categories of personal information. Not all categories may be collected about every individual. California residents, please see the information we collect about you, below in Categories of personal information collected and disclosed.
- Personal identifiers, such as name, address, email, telephone number and email address,
- Device information, online identifiers and related information, such as operating system information, type of device, and screen size,
- Internet, application, and network activity, such as browsing history, clickstream data, search history, and information regarding interactions with a website, application, or advertisement, including other usage data related to your use of any of our Services or other online services, cookies and IP addresses,
- Demographic information, such as age and birth month,
- Commercial Information such as financial information, credit and debit card numbers (stored with our payment processor) and claims information, records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or use histories or tendencies,
- Characteristics of protected classifications under state or federal law, such as race/ethnicity, gender, and sex,
- Customer Records such as purchase history information, such as products you have bought, rented, and/or returned,
- Professional information such as current and former employers, business contact information and professional memberships,
- Location information, such as precise and general geolocation information,
- Audio, visual and other sensory information, such as audio and video recordings,
- Individual preferences and characteristics, such as inferences related to shopping patterns and behaviors, and
- Sensitive personal information including financial information (held by our payment processors) and precise geolocation, which may overlap with some of the categories above.
How Do We Collect Personal Information?
We collect personal information from you or about you in a variety of ways, including: directly from you; from advertising networks, internet service providers, data analytics providers, marketing and product vendors; from your device, in-store technologies and other technologies; from Ace stores, government entities, operating systems and platforms, social networks, data brokers and other external third-party sources.
You actively share personal information with us in various ways when you utilize the Services. For example, you may share personal information when you:
- Make payments and purchases: When you make an in-store or online purchase, return, or other transaction, with us through the Services or an Ace store, we and/or our payment processor, as applicable, collect purchase and payment information in order to process your payment, such as your credit card number and applicable shipping and billing address. We also maintain records about your past purchases, as well as items that you view or add to your cart.
- Register and add to your profile information: When you create an account on one of our websites or mobile services, use a mobile shopping list, or participate in our programs, such as Ace Rewards, we collect certain personal information from you, such as your name and email address, as well as any personal information you post to your profile or account, which may include address and other contact information, demographics, photos, birthday or preferences, or that you otherwise submit to us through your account.
- Communicate and interact with us or our Services: When you email, call, chat or otherwise communicate with us and with members of our team, we collect and maintain a record of your contact details, communications and our responses. We also maintain records communications and information that you post in chat sessions, forums and in other areas of the Services, well as on our social media channels when you post a rating, review or other user-generated content on one of our websites or mobile services, participate in a contest, sweepstake, promotion, or survey, or use features of our websites and mobile services that may ask you to grant us access to the camera or microphone on your computer or mobile device (such as voice search or scanning bar codes) and other personal information you provide to us related to any customer support requests.
- Participate in events and make other requests: We also collect personal information related to your participation in our events as well as other requests that you submit to us related to our Services. For example, if you register for or attend an event that we host or sponsor, we may collect personal information related to your registration for and participation in such event. When you fill out a ‘Contact Us’ form, signup for our mailing lists, or otherwise request information from us, we collect and maintain records of your requests.
- Passively provide via your technical interactions: We may collect technical information when you use the Services. This may include information such as Internet Protocol (IP) address, the type of mobile device you use, your device operating system and browser type, unique identifiers, the address of referring websites, the path you take through our websites, and other information about your visit to our websites.
- Use your device camera and microphone: Some of the features of the Services may require access to the camera or microphone of your computer or mobile device. You must give your permission before we access your device’s camera or microphone, and you can adjust the settings of your device at any time to control access to your camera or microphone.
- Opt-In to the use of your precise geolocation information: We may collect your precise location when you consent or when your device is set to provide location information. For example, your device’s GPS signal allows us to show you the nearest Ace stores. Other examples include allowing us to know when you are about to arrive to pick up your online pickup order after you check in. We may be able to recognize the location of a mobile device in stores where we provide customers free Wi-Fi access or through the use of Bluetooth technology.
We use your IP address to derive information regarding your location (such as longitude and latitude) including Google MAPS. For more information about Google’s privacy policies, please visit http://www.google.com/policies/privacy. If you access or use our Services from a mobile device, we may collect geolocation information from your mobile device, but only with your authorization. Location information is used to assign you to a local Ace store and to customize certain features of the Services, such as the store locator feature, local advertising, and product selection, availability and pricing. We may send push notifications customized to your location if you have authorized us to send them to your mobile device. Push notifications, which appear on the screen of your mobile device in the form of a badge, alert, or banner, allow mobile applications to send information to your mobile device even when the application is not in use. You may choose to receive push notifications without consenting to the collection of geolocation information, but the messages you receive will not be customized for your location. Your mobile device’s operating system may store your authorization to provide us with information regarding your location. While your authorization is active, if you access or request location-based services from our Services, your mobile device will provide us with your location without additional authorization from you. If you would like to disable location services in connection with our mobile website, please consult your mobile device’s user guide. If you would like to disable location services and/or push notifications in connection with our mobile app, adjust your mobile device settings according to the instructions in your mobile device’s user guide.
- Cookies and Other Technologies: Like many online services, we may collect and store certain personal information automatically whenever you interact with our Services. For example, we may collect your IP address, browser and device information, including operating system, application software, and reference site domain name when you access or use the Services. We also use personal information to derive aggregated information regarding customer traffic patterns and usage and mobile application usage data. We may use this information in combination with other information we have about you, including personal information.
If you do not want cookies to be dropped on your device, you can adjust the setting of your Internet browser to reject the setting of all or some cookies and to alert you when a cookie is placed on your device. For further information about how to do so, please refer to your browser ‘help’, ‘tool’, or ‘edit’ section or see www.allaboutcookies.org. Please note that if you use your browser settings to block all cookies, including strictly necessary cookies, you may not be able to access or use all or parts of the functionalities of the Ace websites. Click here to manage cookie settings. Please note: If you select “Reject All”, cookies classified as “Strictly Necessary” will still be operational on the site, as they are necessary for the site to function correctly and provide you the Services.
If you want to remove previously stored cookies, you can manually delete the cookies at any time. However, this will not prevent the Ace websites from placing further cookies on your device unless and until you adjust your Internet browser setting as described above.
- Session Recording: We may use session recording software, in order to better understand our users’ needs and to optimize the Services and experience.
- Interest-Based Advertising: We and our advertising vendors may use online technologies, including cookies and pixel tags, to collect personal information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites and platforms. These technologies enable us or our vendors, including Google, to recognize a unique cookie or pixel tag placed by us or our vendors when you accessed the Services or by an entity when you visited a non-affiliated website or platform. This personal information is used to manage advertising effectiveness and provide you with online advertisements, including advertisements on unaffiliated websites and platforms, more likely to be of interest to you. These technologies also allow us to learn which advertisements bring users to our Services and to manage affiliate advertising.
To learn more about interest-based advertising (often referred to as online behavioral advertising or targeted advertising) and how to manage your preferences for interest-based ads, please visit the following third-party websites:
- To opt out of receiving interest-based advertisements from members of the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA), please visit the DAA website at: www.aboutads.info/choices and youradchoices.com/appchoices.
- To opt out of receiving interest-based advertisements from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI), please visit the NAI website at: www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
Please note that these opt-out mechanisms are browser and device specific. If you wish to opt-out of interest-based advertising across all browsers and devices, you need to make your choices in each browser and device you use. Please consult your device’s user guide or visit the Google Play Support Center or the Apple Support Center for more information on managing interest-based advertisements in a mobile environment. Please be aware that if you opt out of receiving interest-based advertising, you will still be served with advertisements, but they will no longer be targeted to your interests.
Information We Collect Through In-Store Technology
We may collect your personal information from technology used in Ace stores, such as facility cameras. Ace stores may operate cameras in-store for security and operational purposes, for example, to help prevent fraud and to improve the design of Ace stores to better serve our customers.
Please note that most Ace stores are independently owned and operated, although some stores are owned by Ace affiliates. We may collect personal information from Ace stores, particularly when we collaborate in providing the Services to you, such as Ace Rewards. For example, we may collect certain personal information from an Ace store in order to provide delivery services that you may request through the Services. We also may collect personal information from Ace stores in order to provide local offers and promotions that might interest you. These Ace stores may also be authorized to use your personal information in the manner described in this Policy. Please note: Ace stores independently may have their own data collection and use practices that are not governed by this Policy.
Personal Information We Collect from External Third-Party Sources
We may receive personal information about you from other sources to help us correct or supplement our records, improve the quality or personalization of the Services and marketing to you, and prevent or detect fraud. Third parties may collect user data directly from you for their own use and subject to their own privacy policies.
We may also collect personal information about you from social media platforms and networks if you post content publicly or to our social media account (e.g., by using a hashtag) or if you post content to third-party social media hosts such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Instagram.
Social Media Widgets
Our website and mobile application may include social media features, such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube widgets. These features may collect electronic and other internet activity information, such as your IP address and which page you are visiting on our website or mobile application. These widgets may set a cookie or utilize other tracking technologies to accomplish this. Social media features and widgets are hosted by a third party and your interactions with those features are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide them. Such sharing through cookies may be deemed a sale or sharing under the CCPA. California residents can opt-out of the selling or sharing below, see Notice of the Right to Opt-Out of Selling and Sharing. To learn about the types of cookies we use, please see Cookies and Other Technologies.
We may collect personal information from our marketing vendors about your preferences, interests and trends in order to enhance your experience with our Services. We may receive personal information from third party vendors relating to a customer’s homeowner status, age, gender, estimated income, or length of residence, for example.
How Personal Information Is Used for Business Purposes
Purposes of Collection and Processing
We use your personal information to provide you products and Services, such as to fulfill your requests for products or to help us personalize our Services and market to you. We also may use your personal information to support our business functions, such as fraud prevention, marketing, and legal functions. Some examples may include:
- Providing services and support: To provide and operate our Services, to fulfill your order or requests for Services and provide customer service, to create and maintain your account, communicate with you about your use of the Services, provide troubleshooting and technical support, debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality, respond to your inquiries, fulfill your orders and requests, process your payments, communicate with you, and for similar service and support purposes.
- Responding to inquiries: To respond to your questions, fulfill your orders and requests, and consider your requests.
- Analytics and improvement: To better understand how users access and use the Services and our other products and offerings, to conduct auditing and monitoring of transactions and engagement, and for other research and analytical purposes, such as to evaluate and improve our Services and business operations, to develop Services and features, and for internal quality control and training purposes.
- Customization and personalization: To tailor content we may send or display on the Services, including to offer location customization and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences.
- Marketing and advertising: For marketing and advertising purposes. For example, to send you information about our Services, such as offers, promotions, newsletters and other marketing content, including about third-party products and services we think may interest you, as well as any other information that you sign up to receive. We also may use certain personal information we collect to manage, measure and improve our advertising campaigns so that we can better reach people with relevant content.
- Loyalty and rewards program: If you are a member of our Ace Rewards program, we use your personal information in order to administer those programs, which are described more specifically when you enroll.
- Planning and managing events: For event planning and management, including registration, attendance, connecting you with other event attendees, and contacting you about relevant events and Services.
- Research and surveys: To administer surveys and questionnaires, such as for market research or member satisfaction purposes.
- Safety, quality and improvement: To undertake activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the Services owned or controlled by us.
- Legal proceedings and obligations: To comply with the law and our legal obligations and to handle legal processes and related to legal proceedings.
- General business and operational support: To conduct business analysis, such as analytics, projections, or identifying areas for operational improvement and to consider and implement mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, bankruptcies, and other business transactions, and related to the administration of our general business, accounting, auditing, compliance, recordkeeping, and legal functions.
- Other notified purposes: For other lawful purposes that you reasonable expect, are permitted under applicable law and regulation or that we may notify you of from time to time.
Ace may combine personal information, collected online and offline, including personal information from third party sources as described below. Ace also may transfer or share your personal information within our corporate family of companies and Ace stores for these purposes, as permitted by law.
With Whom Do We Share Your Personal Information Outside of Ace Hardware Corporation?
We may share your personal information in the following circumstances:
- Ace Affiliates: Ace may transfer personal information to its subsidiaries and corporate affiliates, including future subsidiaries and affiliates.
- Ace Stores: Ace may share personal information with Ace stores in order to facilitate shipping, delivery, and assembly services related to purchases made on the Services, to assist in the resolution of disputes or customer service issues, to facilitate your membership in the Ace Rewards Program, and to enable Ace stores to conduct their own marketing activities. Please note that most Ace stores are independently owned and operated, although some stores are owned by Ace affiliates. Additionally, Ace stores independently may have their own data collection and use practices that are not governed by this Policy.
- Service Providers: We engage service providers to perform services in connection with the operation of our business, including operation of Services and management of our customer accounts.
- Social Media and Advertising Platforms: We may use social media and advertising platforms, such as Facebook® and Google, to serve advertisements to you or to third parties that the platform determines are similar to you. In order to offer these ads, we may share your personal information, such as email addresses or phone numbers, in hashed or unhashed format, with the platform provider, which can match this information to a particular platform user.
- Marketing: We may make your personal information, together with information regarding your preferences, activity, purchases, and demographics, available to affiliates and Ace stores for purposes of conducting marketing activities on behalf of Ace, the affiliates, Ace stores, and/or or any other service providers.
- Personal Information We Share with External Third Parties: To deliver information about products and Services that may be of interest to you, we may share personal information with other companies, such as publishers, advertisers and measurement analytics providers and the third parties listed below in Categories of Third Parties with Whom We Share, Sell, or Collect Information From. For example, we may share device-related data (such as unique identifier, type of device, IP address, cookies and other information associated with your browsing and app usage) and individual preferences and characteristics (such as insights and inferences related to shopping patterns and behaviors). This information does not identify you directly but is used to personalize the advertisements you receive as more fully described below.
- Deidentified and Aggregated Personal Information: Ace continually strives to make customer shopping experiences more relevant and with less friction and may offer related services and insights to its suppliers and others. As a result, Ace may share with others, insights that combine aggregated information from many customers in ways that do not directly identify you. For example, Ace may combine aggregated customer shopping history with other information to deliver generalized insights to Ace’s suppliers and other third parties. These insights do not identify individual customers and helps Ace suppliers provide products and services relevant to Ace customers, for example.
- Legal Requirements and Protection of Our Company and Others: We may share your personal information in other special circumstances, which include situations when sharing is permitted by law, or we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of Ace, our customers, our associates, or other persons. Examples may include: Protecting the health or safety of customers; Responding to incidents or crimes committed on Ace property; Identifying and preventing fraud or financial risk; Providing personal information from cameras to law enforcement, insurance companies and others as necessary; Responding to a search warrant or other valid legal inquiry; Responding to an investigative body and other similar activities.
- Sale, Transfer or Reorganization of Business: We reserve the right to transfer your personal information in connection with the sale or transfer of all or a portion of the business or assets of Ace or Ace affiliates to an entity in the event of a corporate transaction.
- When You Authorize Us: In addition to the foregoing circumstances, we may share your personal information when you authorize us to do so.
SMS/MMS Mobile Messaging
The Mobile Program allows you to receive SMS/MMS mobile messages by voluntarily and affirmatively opting in, such as through an enrollment form or by texting Ace to 223439, and then confirming your enrollment. The messages we will send to you include marketing messages, such as promotional and product communications regarding sitewide sales, national events, product launches and special promotions. You may also receive messages regarding surveys and other consumer research.
You must have a wireless device capable of sending and receiving text messages, use a participating wireless carrier (not all participate), and be a wireless service subscriber with text messaging service. Check your phone capabilities for specific text messaging instructions.
There is no fee from Ace to receive messages. Message & data rates may apply. Please consult your mobile service provider for pricing information. Message & data charges are billed by and payable to your mobile service provider or deducted from your prepaid account with your mobile service provider. Under no circumstances will Ace be responsible for any messaging or wireless charges incurred by you or by a person that has access to your mobile device or phone number.
By opting in to the Mobile Program, you agree to receive autodialed and non-autodialed marketing mobile messages at the phone number associated with your opt in, and you understand that consent is not required to make any purchase from Ace. While you consent to receive messages sent using an automatic telephone dialing system (autodialer), the foregoing shall not be interpreted to imply that any or all of Ace’s mobile messages are sent using an autodialer. Messaging frequency may vary, but you can expect to receive up to 12 marketing texts per month. You may receive additional text messages if you elect to participate in a consumer survey or otherwise contact us via text. Message content may vary, and not all persons who opt in to our Mobile Program will receive the same promotional and product communications and offers.
Messages sent via SMS may not be delivered if the mobile phone is not in range of a transmission site, or if sufficient network capacity is not available at a particular time. Even within a coverage area, factors beyond the control of the wireless carrier may interfere with message delivery, including the customer’s equipment, effective transmission from your network operator, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather. Neither Ace, our service provider(s), nor your wireless carrier guarantee that alerts will be delivered and Ace, our service provider(s), or your wireless carrier are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
If you have any questions, text HELP to 223439 or contact us toll free at 1-888-827-4223 or by email at CareCenter@acehardware.com. To opt out of the Mobile Program and stop receiving messages text STOP to 223439 or to any mobile message we have sent you. You understand and agree that this is the only way to opt out of the Mobile Program and that any other method of opting out, including, but not limited to, texting words other than STOP or verbally requesting an Ace employee or an Ace store employee to remove you from our Mobile Program, is not a reasonable means of opting out. If you opt out of the Mobile Program, you may receive an additional mobile message confirming your decision to opt out.